Castle Menzies - An oustanding example of a
16th century, "Z" plan fortification.
Castle Menzies was home to the Menzies
Chiefs from 1488 to 1910. The Menzies have been in
Highland Perthshire since records began from the middle of the 12th
The sixteenth century Z-shaped Castle Menzies, a short distance
from Aberfeldy at Weem, was designed not only as a residence but
also was required to provide some protection from
enemies. You can see the Menzies Claymore (sword) used
by the chief at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, the final battle
in the Scottish Wars of Independence.
Castle Menzies survived through the Covenanter religious
troubles of the mid-seventeenth century and the Jacobite rebellions
of 1715 when it was occupied by the Jacobites and again in 1745,
when Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed at Castle Menzies, on
his way to the Battle of Culloden in 1746.
In 1910 the 8th Baronet, Sir Neil
Menzies, died without heirs, which resulted in
the extensive Menzies estates being divided and auctioned by
his trustees in 1914. Castle Menzies with all its
contents, including many Clan Menzies relics were bundled into lots
and sold, scattering four hundred years of history around the
From 1914 Castle Menzies has had various owners and tenants,
none of whom were able to maintain the castle properly. In 1957 it
was bought as a ruin by the Menzies Clan Society for under
The Menzies Charitable Trust was set up in 1993 and ownership of
Castle Menzies was transferred to this Trust along with the
Castle's original walled garden, which had been purchased in
The Menzies Mausolem set within the Old Kirk of Weem, the old
church in Weem village is where many of the Menzies Chiefs who
lived in Castle Menzies are buried.
Castle Menzies is open April to October each year.